People have been taking Truvada Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for many years by people who do not have HIV but who are at extremely considerable risk of getting HIV to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. However, people are claiming that taking Truvada over a prolonged period may cause significant injuries. People that have been taking Truvada for years are claiming the drug causes bone and kidney issues. Also, many are accusing Gilead, the maker of Truvada, of withholding a safer alternative to maximize profits from Truvada.
What is Truvada?
Truvada (also called FTC/TDF) is a two-drug combination of emtricitabine (FTC) and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), both HIV-1 (human immunodeficiency virus type 1) nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitors antiretroviral drug.
In 2012, the FDA approved Truvada as the first drug for use in preventing HIV. The drug works by stopping HIV cells from multiplying in the body. It blocks an enzyme that HIV uses to copy its genetic material and reproduce. People also use the drug to prevent infecting other people with HIV. However, doctors and patients do not use Truvada as a cure for HIV or AIDS. Pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP) is a way for people who do not have HIV but who are at extremely elevated risk of getting HIV to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. The pill (brand name Truvada) contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) that are used in combination with other medicines to treat HIV. , these medicines can work to keep the virus from establishing a permanent infection when someone is exposed to HIV through sex or drug use intravenously.
How is Truvada Allegedly Harming people?
After Truvada has been on the market for many years, people are now claiming the drug can cause more serious injuries than advertised.
The lawsuits consist of claims regarding bone and kidney issues such as:
- Kidney Failure
- Liver problems
- Bone problems
- Lactic acidosis
- Bone fractures
- Persistent or worsening bone pain
- Orthopedic Injuries
- The Truvada Lawsuit
Gilead Sciences, the manufacturers of Truvada PrEP, are being sued by many for alleged developed bone and kidney injuries. Moreover, the lawsuits filed against Gilead are under failure to warn and defective design clauses. The lawsuits are claiming that the active ingredient, TDF is causing bone and kidney damage to people taking it.
Most of the cases are in California, with a pending MDL (Multidistrict Litigation), MDL #2881. However, since we are still in the preliminary stages of the case, there has not been an official MDL established yet. Additionally, Truvada, and other HIV products, are responsible for 67% of the company’s revenue. Because of this, Gilead will actively defend themselves throughout the potential mass tort lawsuit.
Those suffering from injuries related to Truvada are seeking compensation for various damages in the Truvada lawsuits such as:
- Medical Expenses
- Prescription drugs
- Medical devices
- Loss of wages and benefits
- Physical Therapy
- Psychological therapy
- Rehab expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Timeline of Truvada Lawsuit
A timeline of events that have led up to the lawsuits against Truvada include:
- In 2018, hundreds of individuals began filing lawsuits against Gilead.
- 2018, AIDS Health Foundation (AHF) assisted with filing a class-action lawsuit to represent victims.
- In 2018, most cases filed in California, Delaware, and Louisiana.
- December 2018, the lawsuits consolidated into a pending MDL #2881.
- In February 2019, California Superior Court ruled the plaintiffs’ claims may proceed to trial.
- January 2020, 86 plaintiffs who suffered kidney and bone injuries from the side effects of Truvada filed a product liability lawsuit was filed with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- June 2020, Gilead is sued by more than 70 plaintiffs who allege that they suffered bone and kidney injuries due to the side effects of Truvada.
- July 2020, A group of 20 plaintiffs joined together in a lawsuit indicating that each of them suffered from serious injuries such as kidney damage, bone density loss, and other complications.
- In Jan 2021, a federal judge ruled that the government cannot ignore Gilead’s claims that the government breached its contracts when it upheld patents on Truvada as PrEP.